Incomplete Contact Transfer from Android to Linux
Anroid: Jami: 20191208-01 Android: 8.1 / LineageOS 15.1-20190228 Device model: Samsung Tablet S2
Linux: Jami: 20191224.1.5c0 Linux: Devuan ASCII 2.1
Steps to reproduce
- Can you reproduce the bug: unknown / partially at will
- Set up a Jami account on Android
- Add a few contacts
- Add some chat history to all contacts.
- Transfer account to Linux client.
- Actual result: All contacts are transferred to Linux but some miss their account names. These contacts show their ring ID only. Also, all contact images are missing. Additionally, there is no transfer of chat history.
- Expected result: Full transfer of contacts when account is transferred. This shall include all information already collected on the sending system (e.g. with contact images and full chat history w/ all received files). Eventually all associated systems (be it two or more) shall have the exact same state for all contacts (and in all linked Jami-accounts). Transfer direction and/or Jami client (e.g. iOS, Android, Linux, Windows) shall not matter.
After linking two or more systems to a single account all Jami clients shall eventually have the exact same data set for each contact. Only such behaviour provides for a true backup so that loss of one of these systems is not game over. It may be necessary to implement a (potentially slow) background data sync mechanism between all associated systems. Sync state shall be made obvious.
This is no rocket science since we can observe potentially suitable prior art in e.g. unison (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unison_(logiciel)).
jami-client-gnome may be the wrong place for this issue since all types of Jami-clients are affected. Feel free to move it around accordingly.