Can't receive a call & text after being on the same LAN for about a day.
Bug report form
Describe your environment
- OS: Windows 10, Version 10.0.19042.928
- Jami version: Windows QT Beta 202104292750 (Desktop client)
- On windows with Wired LAN (1000mb/s); i have UPnP On, LocalPeerDiscovery On, DHT-Proxy On, TURN On, STUN On.(default servers settings)
- Android 11, version One UI 3.1, KernelVersion 4.14.190, Galaxy A71, SM-A715F/DS
- Android Jami (BETA) together 20210421-01
- On Android phone on LAN via 'Wi-Fi 5G'; i have UPnP Off, LocalPeerDiscovery On, DHT-Proxy On, TURN On, STUN On.(default servers settings)
- Both clients are in the same LAN behind a firewall/router.
- The Android Phone has been connected to the LAN for 2+ days.
Steps to reproduce
- Can you reproduce the bug: often
3 or 4 times a week, but it takes a while to come into that state again.
(on windows, the caller) i restarted Jami and started with -D option to catch debug output.
(on windows) i went to settings and disabled and re-enabled the account, hoping it would refresh and work.
(on android) i did not change account to off/on, else it re-initializes and the problem is gone.(but bug still there ;)
- On windows, Open Jami.
- On android, have the phone connected to LAN for days. Don't switch profile off and on.
- On windows, Call a contact which runs on Android.
- Actual result:
- Windows app shows 'calling' and immediately stops with the message "Missed outgoing call"
- Android app only sees the message "Missed call"
- Expected result:
- Android app shows incoming call, and user has time to pick up.
- Calling from Android to Windows can keep ringing and looks Ok.
- While calling from Windows to Android, the ringing immediately breaks off without doing anything on android. It does ring once on android, and also shows 'missed incoming call'.
- (on the Android Phone) When i set the profile to off and on, then the Windows client immediately is able to communicate, and also the text messages which didn't come through(sent from that windows client) arrive.
- This happened in older versions too, where i had to Off/On the profile on Android to get Android client working again. But it seems this problem is there already long, so i file a report.
Attached is the logs from the Windows client only. it shows calls going both ways. only the calls from windows to android failed immediately. The log contains all info printed from starting to call up-to failing. it fitted in one screen. Sadly i can't perform any debugging on my android company phone.
In case you need additional info, or need me to try out some things, my jami ID is 'rtwin_x'